RECENT POST

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The implosion of Amon G. Carter Stadium isn’t until December 5th, but this Saturday’s game against San Diego State will mark the last game Frog fans will be able to see it in its current state. TCU will begin their $105 million renovation to the west side and north end zone of the stadium shortly after Saturday’s game. That is why we have to send The Carter off with a big party and a great win.

It will be sad to see the current Amon G. Carter Stadium go. As the rest of you, I went to my first TCU game there and it was also where I attended my first college football game. The Carter is one of the staples of the TCU campus and there was always something cool about looking out and seeing the purple and white TCU across the upper deck. I know the new stadium will be so much better and so much nicer, but there is something about the history and mystique of the current stadium that makes it legendary.

Amon G. Carter Stadium has seen the likes of Sammy Baugh, Bob Lilly, LaDainian Tomlinson, Andy Dalton and more. It has been the home to heart breaking losses and amazing victories. It has seen dominant defense and high scoring offense. It has hosted college and high school games along with the Armed Forces Bowl. I don’t know if there is another place I would rather be on a Saturday.

I will never forget the Utah game from 2009. The entire day was amazing. From waking up early and going to College Gameday, to tailgating, to the atmosphere in the stadium. That day will always be one of my favorite sports moments. I will also never forget the Louisville game in 2003 where it seemed the wind just happened to pick up every time the Cardinals tried to kick a field goal. I can’t leave out Texas Tech from 2006 either. The “Great White Hit” delivered by Marvin White on Texas Tech receiver Robert Johnson is one of the most violent hits I have seen delivered from a TCU player. I just remember seeing the Red Raider fans flee the stadium once that happened.

A lot of my fondest TCU memories took place in Amon G. Carter Stadium, so like I said, it will be a little sad to see it go, but I am also ready to usher in the new era of TCU Football. The new and improved Amon Carter Stadium will be state of the art and everything this program deserves. The donors who helped make the renovations possible deserve a lot of credit for stepping up and making this happen. The stadium is scheduled to be complete by the beginning of the 2012 season and I can’t wait to start making memories in that one.

(To any of the old timers, I am not forgetting about any of the amazing times that happened prior to 2000, I just wasn’t old enough to experience them. If you or anyone else has any memories to share, please leave a comment.)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...