RECENT POST

Sunday, March 15, 2009

We've learned a lot over the years about language, messaging and the often unintended consequences. One of the things that we've learned is that breed specific policies tell the public that the entire breed in question is different than other dogs - and not in a good way. Larger examples include shelters that still won't adopt out pit bulls; sending the message to the community that there are no safe, or worthy, pit bulls. But even shelters that we see as breed friendly, can often do better.


As a parent of a 2 1/2 year old, with another on the way, I know first hand how great solid pit bulls are with children. Some of the best moments of my day are watching my dog and toddler interact. My child's life is richer and she is a more caring person already for having shared space with her pit bull. So it should come as no surprise that one of my personal missions has been to try to eliminate shelter policies that prohibit pit bull adoptions to families with small (or sometimes any) kids.



Let me add that I take parenting very seriously. I devote time, energy and focus to it in a way that I never expected. I work part time now by choice so that I can more fully participate in my child's development. I hold a graduate degree in Maternal Child Health and am a pediatric nurse practitioner. I tell you all of this by way of making it clear that I am not cavalier about safety, health or my child. Matter of fact, I'm not cavalier about much. So I would never, ever advocate putting my child or anyone else's in harms way.


Adopting a temperamentally correct pit bull to a family with any age children is a good thing. Assuming the family is prepared and responsible and the dog is temperamentally sound (as will all breeds!), pit bulls make fabulous family dogs. Are they larger than some mall toddlers? Yup. Are they sometimes exuberant and high energy? Yup. Are they likely to occasionally knock over a small child? Yup. Is that really 'dangerous' or unsafe? I think not.

My daughter has toppled over a few times as a result of the dog. She's cried occasionally when the dog was moving at higher velocity. But she's never been seriously injured and they've both learned better how to avoid collisions. And though I'll never be able to prove it because I'll never own another breed, my guess is an 80 pound Labrador would occasionally knock her over as well, maybe even more often give that it'd be 25 pounds heavier. She loves her dog and continues to want to play with him in the yard despite occasionally getting, in her words, 'nailed by Spence-ote'.


Back to the point (you can see why I don't blog often). Blanket breed based policies often send messages to the community that shelters may not be aware of. For example, an exchange recently took place on a large parenting group list I belong to. Someone asked about the safety of Chow Chows with children and for the name of a responsible breeder. The first handful of replies recounted negative childhood experiences with the Chow Chows, including bites. Then things shifted direction:


  • Just wanted to add... my dad has been a mailman for 33 years and has only ever been attacked by pit bulls and chows!!

  • I volunteered at an animal shelter for several years and they would not allow families with young children to adopt Chows (also Pitbulls & Rotties).

  • XXX Local Shelter (name removed) doesn't let anyone with kids adopt pit bulls but they can adopt Chows; so Chows are probably OK.

I responded with an explanation that broad shelter policies are not a great representation of whether or not it is a good idea to have a particular breed of dog with children. That there is great variety of dog personality within each breed and I provided a link to a few good sites with Chow Chow breed descriptions as well as a link to a Chow Chow forum with what seemed like knowledgeable rescuers and owners. I also suggested they find a rescue or shelter with an adult Chow Chow who's specific personality is known. The replies were all along the lines of this:

  • While shelter policies may not be one's overriding concern in selecting a dog, those policies are there for a reason (hence why I relayed the information) and shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.
So, now we have a pretty clear example that a well intentioned shelter can do some damage in their efforts to be extra cautious. Not only did this policy, and maybe that of the other unnamed shelters, convince a group of parents that pit bulls are not safe with any children but that any breed that isn't entirely off limits for adoption to families is by default to be considered safe with children. I'm happy to say that the local shelter named has removed this blanket policy.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...