RECENT POST

Saturday, March 21, 2009

The set of games yesterday are what make the NCAA Tournament so great and it showed why it is the best post season in sports. There were 6 upsets, a 2 OT, and a single OT game. What more could you ask for? I thought the first day was kind of slow but yesterday made up for it.



Even when you don’t have a team in the tournament (like I don’t) it’s easy to still get involved and root for who you picked to win. I could care less about Dayton or USC basketball any other time of the year but I was cheering like hell for them to pull of the upsets.



Let’s look at what took place

#8 Oklahoma State edged out #9 Tennessee on a late 3 point play by Byron Eaton (Box Score)

#1 Pittsburgh survived a scare from #16 East Tennessee State (Box Score)

#11 Dayton got its first tournament victory in 19 years by knocking off #6 West Virginia (Box Score)

#12 Arizona blew out #5 Utah (Box Score)

#10 USC let Taj Gibson lead the way on 10-of-10 shooting and 24 points over #7 Boston College (Box Score)

#9 Siena took #8 Ohio State to double OT before closing out the two point victory (Box Score)

#13 Cleveland State with the upset of the tournament so far shocking #4 Wake Forrest (Box Score)

#12 Wisconsin needed OT to send #5 Florida State back to the reservation (Box Score)



(For the record I picked the upsets by Dayton, USC, and Siena. Tennesse, Florida State, Wake, and Utah let me down though.)



That was just yesterday alone. There are still 2 more days left in this opening weekend of the tournament.

So far in the first 2 days

- All 4 #1’s have moved on (not easily though)

- 3 #10 seeds have moved into the second round

- 3 #12 seeds have moved into the second round

- #4 Wake Forrest is the highest seeded team to be knocked out thus far



I have been thoroughly entertained by the tournament up to this point. I just hope the entertainment level and my bracket continue to hold up. (I am 23-9 through the first round, have 15 of my Sweet 16 still intact and all of my Elite 8 and on down)



The Mavs even managed to pull out a last second victory over the Pacers on a clutch shot by Dirk Nowitzki. It was a nice day of basketball.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...