RECENT POST

Monday, July 27, 2009

Mavs Sign Drew Gooden

Well, I was engulfed in soccer this weekend and haven’t posted about the Mavs picking up Drew Gooden.



From Marc Stein of ESPN.com

The Dallas Mavericks have struck a deal with unrestricted free agent Drew Gooden to make use of some of the money they got back when Orlando matched their offer sheet earlier this month to restricted free agent Marcin Gortat.

Sources with knowledge of the deal told ESPN.com that Gooden is receiving a one-year contract worth a guaranteed $4.5 million with incentives that will likely take it beyond $5 million by season's end. A formal announcement of the signing is expected Monday or Tuesday.



I think this is a solid move for the Mavs. They had some money available and used it on decent player. He is a career 12 point, 7 rebound guy who has good size.



I don’t think this move puts Dallas over the top or anything, but Gooden can compete for minutes and fill the void left by Brandon Bass. I think Gooden can put up just as good of numbers as Bass, so I don’t see a drop off there.



The Mavs next move will likely come in a trade. Who for? I don’t know.



What I do know is Cuban and Donnie are making an effort to improve this team, and it has worked out fairly well so far. (Excluding the Gortat ordeal) I think the Mavs bench will be a lot better next season and you won’t see such a drop off when the second team takes the court.







BallHype: hype it up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...