RECENT POST

Thursday, August 13, 2009



The English Premier League gets underway Saturday and it should be an exciting season. I hope to keep you updated as much as I can, so keep checking back. The time difference and TV coverage here in the U.S. can make it difficult, but I will get through it.



The defending champions, Manchester United look to defend their crown and are going for their fourth straight EPL title. The Red Devils won’t have an easy run at it as they lost superstar Cristiano Ronaldo and Carlos Tevez this offseason. United was able to add Michael Owen and Antonio Valencia, but will they be enough? This is my squad, but I just don’t know if they will be able to retain the title. Look for Wayne Rooney to have a big season though.



Chelsea in my opinion has one of the best rosters in the EPL. I have heard some criticism that they might be getting too old, but I don’t think they are at that point yet. The Blues bring in new manager Carlo Ancelotti, but it doesn’t seem to have a negative effect, as they went through the preseason undefeated. (I met Michael Essien when they were in town so I am automatically rooting for him to have a good year)



Liverpool is coming off a second place finish last season, and seems to be a popular pick to with the EPL this season. They lost a big piece in Xabi Alonso, who went to Real Madrid, but any team with Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard will be ok.



Arsenal has also taken some criticism, but for being on the cheap side. They lost striker Emmanuel Adebayor to Manchester City which is a pretty big loss for the Gunners.



The team making the most noise in the EPL this offseason was Manchester City. They scooped up Carlos Tevez from ManU and Emmanuel Adebayor from Arsenal as I mentioned above. City didn’t have a good season last year, but I see them having a major improvement this season. I know talent doesn’t equal success, but I really think they will be better.



One team that I haven’t really followed, but will try and watch more of is Hull City. They aren’t very good but they now have American Jozy Altidore on their squad. It will be interesting to see how Altidore performs against top opponents.



Here is my top 5:

1. Chelsea

2. Manchester United

3. Liverpool

4. Manchester City

5. Arsenal



Other Predictions:

FA Cup: Manchester City

Champions League: Real Madrid

Player of the Year: Fernando Torres



If you want more, check out the links below:

EPLTalk.com Predictions

SoccerLens.com Season Preview

ESPN Soccernet Season Guide



BallHype: hype it up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...